| Address of the memorial site, route planning | ||
| What can we see at the memorial site? | ||
| Brief overview | ||
| Detailed company history | ||
| Literature, references | ||
| Related gallery |
| ADDRESS OF THE MEMORIAL SITE, ROUTE PLANNING |
Győr, Rákóczi Ferenc Street 32.
| WHAT CAN WE SEE AT THE MEMORIAL SITE? |
Street view:
| BRIEF OVERVIEW |
|
This was the location of Győr's first industrial plant, the agricultural machinery factory and foundry of Károly Stádel, founded in 1845. Until the end of World War II, the family-owned company played a decisive role in the region. Its quality products were worthy competitors to the English and American machines that were widespread in agriculture at that time. Stádel proved its competence with numerous newly developed equipment and patents, which were awarded at several national and international exhibitions. The company was hit twice by bombs during World War II, and a significant part of its buildings and machinery were destroyed. Due to their difficult financial situation, the family leased the company from 1950, which continued to operate under the name Kisalföldi Gépgyár. Following nationalization, the property became the first site of the Kisalföldi Gépgyárak és Öntödék Egyesülése Vállalat, which was formed by the merger of five iron and steel companies. The rationalization efforts of the 1950s aimed at partially merging the five sites that existed at that time and operating them more economically. The Kisalföld Machine Factory operated at this location until 1952. Today, only the residential building of the company owner family remains from the site. |
| DETAILED COMPANY HISTORY |
The history of the Stádel machine factory dates back to the early 1800s. It was then that József Stádel, a toolmaker and knifemaker, settled in Győr.
The excellent specialist quickly became a recognized and respected citizen of the city. His fortune grew nicely from his business, which he operated with several assistants. Károly's son was already acquainted with the craft at the age of 13. First in the family workshop, and then in Vienna, he learned all the branches of the iron trade from the basics to graduating from the Imperial and Royal Technical University. He gained his professional experience in various factories, such as the famous Viennese Tophan company.
After the death of József Stádel, he returned to Győr in 1844 and took over the management of the family business. He earned the title of master with his masterpiece submitted to the united locksmiths' guild, so he could now realize his ambitious plans in the company bearing his own name.
He purchased the property on Rákóczi Ferenc Street, suitable for a new location, in 1847 for 5,600 silver coins.
Successful introduction
The master toolmaker, who was already working with two assistants, made his first public appearance at the first Győr Industrial Exhibition in June 1846. At this event, initiated by Lajos Kossuth, Károly Stádel won a silver medal with his own designed pump – which could also be converted into a fire hose.
In the same year, the 3rd National Industrial Exhibition was held in Pest. Stádel also participated in this, and his rotary pump was awarded a bronze medal.
The great craftsmanship and successes he acquired during his one and a half years of operation encouraged him to implement new plans.
After the defeat of the War of Independence, he decided to significantly expand his workshop. His new premises were the previously purchased property at 34 Rákóczi Ferenc Street and the adjacent two-story corner house, purchased in 1853.
From workshop to factory
Stádel was also a valued supplier to the city council, and was regularly commissioned with several small and large jobs. The expansion of the customer base and the range of products prompted Stádel to obtain the title of factory for his well-known workshop.
Just like his father before him, he himself could count the Győr chapter estate among his regular customers, to which he delivered agricultural machinery. In possession of a letter of recommendation from the chapter's officer, he submitted an application to the Győr City Council in January 1862 to obtain the title of factory. Following the permission of the District Council dated April 24, 1862, it was deemed worthy of the title of "nationally patented factory".
Surviving colorful advertising graphics from the Stádel factory
The first international competition
The Stádel factory achieved its first foreign success at the Vienna International Economic Exhibition in 1866. It received a state prize for its automobile, and a large bronze medal for its machine collection.
The next international recognition was the medal of merit he received for his corn crusher and threshing machine presented at the 1873 Vienna World Exhibition.
A new foundry is being built
Károly Stádel submitted his application to the city council in 1877, requesting the possibility of building a new foundry in the yard of his premises. The decision of the authority, which approved the application in just four days, gave the machine factory the opportunity to produce its own economical and competitive castings.
Károly Stadel announced the establishment of his foundry in the February 4, 1877 issue of the Győri Közlöny.
The recognition earned at the national exhibition held in Székesfehérvár in 1879
By the end of the 1880s, significant competitors, such as Kühne from Mosonmagyaróvár, had emerged in the machinery industry. With their more favorable prices, it was becoming increasingly difficult for the Stádel factory, which specialized in producing high-quality products, to compete.
An era ends
The death of Károly Stádel in 1887 also marked the end of a successful era in the company's life. The factory was inherited by his son Károly Stádel Jr., who – like his father before him – learned and acquired the basic professional skills in the family business. He was a student at the Karlsruhe Technical College between 1867 and 1871. He returned home with the professional knowledge and education appropriate to the time to take over the management of the company.
His successful activities are also proven by the large exhibition medal he won at the 1885 Budapest National General Exhibition.
The name is obligatory
With the early death of Károly Stádel Jr., the factory was inherited by his three siblings: Mrs. Károlyné Fügi, née Erzésbet Mária Stádal, János Stádel and Mrs. Ferencné Knopp, née Alojzia Antónia Stádel.
The company continued to operate under the name “Károly Stádel Orökösei Gépgyár és Vasöntéde”.